Friday, November 26, 2010

More than a name.

I mentioned that I recently played at Kumamoto Castle with my friends and co-members of our recently formed trio Izumi Fujikawa and Yumiko Minoda.  Our trio doesn't have a name and we all feel that it would be good to have one, so I've been knocking around some ideas and came up with this:  I like the Japanese word hibiki (響) which means echo.  It in itself would be good but I thought of alternate kanji that might add more meaning to the name and came up with this: hi () which means beautiful or patterned, bi (侎) which means to soothe, and ki ( ) which means spirit.  Therefore HIBIKI (    )or beautiful soothing spirit.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I like it, Jeff. "気" could also be translated "soul" or in a sense "essence," and also carries the meaning of feelings or intentions, all of which could add depth to the name of your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig, nice to hear from you and thank you for the added info. You're right, it just adds.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete